October 12, 2011

Gezunt Heights

Early this morning, on a whim, I decided to try something different here on the blog. I thought about an approach based on the concepts of simplicity and variety. On a piece of paper, I wrote the following:

a comic
a song
a link
a video 
a quote
a poem
a painting
an advertisement


All of the exhibits except for one (the song) were found over the course of the last seven hours. The selection process was both random and intuitive, and the exhibits chosen all hold some appeal to me personally. 

Ernie Bushmiller's Nancy, as reprinted in Comics on Parade #74 (Oct-Nov 1950)




 Georgia O'Keeffe's Oriental Poppies, 1928

                                                                                          
                                                                                                             

 Jimmy Webb's "P.F. Sloan," from the album Words and Music, 1970



“The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully have been kindness, beauty, and truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, and luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.” Albert Einstein







CBS Outtakes and Bloopers






Pepsi-Cola magazine ad, May 1957


Democracy

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you. 


Langston Hughes







What is your reaction to this exhibit?


1 comment:

Mark said...

My reaction is positive. All good stuff. Like a tidy little packed lunch of variety goodness.