Cabinessence is the official soundtrack of Easily Mused, Spotify playlists chock full of infectious and stimulating tunes from many places and times. It's outsider music, hidden gems, buried treasures, and hits you remember! And it's absolutely free, a labor of love from a lifelong music lover. Simply go to the Cabinessence page on Facebook, click "like" and you're all set! Stay attuned...

March 21, 2013

Nobody Here But Us Updates!

Greetings and Salutations! Y'know, a popular expression among comics is "always steal from the best." that's why I would like to announce my intention to remain 39 forever, a la Jack Benny. It's not that I mind turning 40. I just think it will be somewhat amusing to tell people I'm 39, probably more amusing with each passing year.

This seems to be my first post for 2013. To those select few of you who depend on my posts to bring sunshine to your otherwise bland and purposeless lives, I apologize for being such a poor steward of this site.  I always considered this blog to be a creative exercise, and lately my creative energies have been funneled into the creation of music. I've all but abandoned hope of ever being able to make a living as a full-time songwriter, but in a way, that is very liberating. Without commercial constraints, I can just let the creative juices flow and see what comes out. My latest song, "Stormy Girl," came out in 6/8 time and I had mucho fun writing and recording it. There are dozens of other tunes in my head, waiting to be put down for posterity.

Let's see, what else have I been up to? Being the entertainment director at Raleigh's finest dueling piano bar, Rum Runners, keeps me plenty busy. I started there in 1998. A great entertainer named Tom Basler took me under his wing when I knew how to play three songs and he showed me the ropes ( and almost hung me with a few of them). I left in 2003 but came back about 5 years ago. That means I have spent ten years on the Rum Runners stage, entertaining people an average of four nights a week. And you know what? I've loved almost every minute of it.

In my free time, lacking the funds to take many trips, my wife Heather and I have been sticking close to home mostly. I really like people, but neither one of us requires a great deal of social interaction. We play our pinball and video games, watch John Wayne movies, and frequently chow down on sushi. I'm not going to lie to you. Winter can be somewhat rough, psychologically speaking. Neither one of us cares much for the cold gray days of December. Now spring has arrived, and we have survived the worst flu ever. Life is good.

I recently revamped the look of the blog and I plan to update the bloglinks section soon. Look for some cool new additions to the roster. I may not post every day, but I hope to at least get two or three posts in a week. If you come here for the comics, yes I will be posting some comics. If you are a classic television connoisseur, I've got access to some rare treats I think you may enjoy. If you are a music geek (like me), I'll be sharing the newest discoveries I've made on the latest leg of my journey, including a recent foray into Exotica. Of course, I'll be sharing my original tunes also. Future classics with titles like "Up The Apples," "Grenadine," and "The Next Golden Age." That last one's tentative.

By the way, the "Why Chicks Cry" book project is still a definite possibility. I've put it on the shelf for the time being, but I'll let you know if and when anything develops. It sure would be neat to see my name on the front of a book, eh! If you're unfamiliar with "Why Chicks Cry," it is the single post for which this blog may be remembered. Check it out!

That's all for the moment. Stay golden and I'll see you on the flipside!

Plug O' the Day: The absurdist comics of Michael Kupperman never fail to tickle my funny bone. His newest collection Tales Designed To Thrizzle Vol. 2 is available NOW! Buy me a copy too, willya?

Comments! I lurve comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment