Cabinessence is the official soundtrack of Easily Mused, Spotify playlists chock full of infectious and stimulating tunes from many places and times. It's outsider music, hidden gems, buried treasures, and hits you remember! And it's absolutely free, a labor of love from a lifelong music lover. Simply go to the Cabinessence page on Facebook, click "like" and you're all set! Stay attuned...

July 1, 2015

Frontier Cabin: An Appeal

I've been away from this blog for a little while, posting very sporadically, but I have not been idle. The main focus of my energies as of late has been my music. Frontier Cabin is the name of my project, and I would be very appreciative if you could follow my progress on Facebook. Need convincing?



What kind of music is it? We are living in an era where rhythm has become the primary focus of popular music. While rhythm is very important, I believe that melody is just as important. In addition, I draw inspiration from many different genres, and enjoy blending these genres liberally. Frontier Cabin music is a musical melting pot of styles, organically conceived on piano. I also strive to produce intelligent lyrics that reflect my observations on life, the universe and everything.

Who are your biggest musical influences? The Beatles are #1 in my book. If you don't like Beatles music, read no further. Here is the short list of songwriters and musical artists that have impacted my style the most.

The Beatles, Elvis Costello, XTC, Frank Zappa, Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Harry Nilsson, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Elton John, NRBQ, Judee Sill, The Monkees, Elvis Presley, Mose Allison, The Clash, Leon Russell, Randy Newman, James Taylor, Paul Williams, R.E.M., Tom Petty, The Who, Barenaked Ladies, Squeeze, Bach, Nina Simone, Hoagy Carmichael, Led Zeppelin, They Might Be Giants, Beck, Tom Waits, Pink Floyd, Taj Mahal, The Kinks, Ween, James Brown, Emitt Rhodes, Big Star, John Prine, Allen Touissant, The Band, Charlie Rich, Bob Dorough, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Burt Bacharach, 10cc, Todd Rundgren...and so many more!

Most of my influences come from an era stretching from 1930-1980, a most fertile and creative time in popular music. I do listen to some contemporary acts, but mostly acts that share those influences. If you like some of the artists listed above, you probably feel disenfranchised by the current music scene. Hopefully, you will like Frontier Cabin on Facebook and find a brand new song to love!

What can I expect when I visit Frontier Cabin on Facebook? Right now, I am operating on a shoestring budget. Nevertheless, I am using the resources I have to create sketches of my songs until I can build a proper home studio. If you like Frontier Cabin on Facebook, you will be able to hear these sketches, along with lyrics and thoughts of a musical nature. In addition, you will have access to Cabinessence, a weekly podcast dedicated to my musical heroes.The first episode will be available this Sunday morning!  Also, I promise to never overpost. Two posts a day, maximum!

Is there anything else I need to know? I have been writing songs for over two decades. It took a long time for me to develop a truly unique sound. My recording ventures have been limited, and the fruits of those efforts have been mostly disappointing. However, I feel very strongly that if I keep working hard, I have the talent and creativity necessary to produce something of lasting value. I can plant the seed and water it, but your patronage of my art is the sunshine that will help that seed grow and bear fruit.  If you follow Frontier Cabin now, you will be able to track the progression of my recordings, from crude sketches to fully realized productions! If nothing else, you will be able to follow one person's creative process. Best of all, you have absolutely nothing to lose!

Thank you for your time.

John Glenn Taylor


Click here to visit Frontier Cabin on Facebook!








1 comment:

  1. I really liked this part of the article, with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know... You need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this... Success for you.....!!!

    ReplyDelete