Cabinessence is the official soundtrack of Easily Mused, Spotify playlists chock full of infectious and stimulating tunes from many places and times. It's outsider music, hidden gems, buried treasures, and hits you remember! And it's absolutely free, a labor of love from a lifelong music lover. Simply go to the Cabinessence page on Facebook, click "like" and you're all set! Stay attuned...

December 17, 2009

Mark Evanier Knows More Than I Do (Thank Goodness!)

For the second time, I have received a communication from the legendary Mark Evanier. Both times, he wrote to correct me on an artist credit. Clearly, I am doing something right. Mark Evanier is visiting my blog!

Seriously, thanks again Mark, for helping to keep me honest. I did not base my Pete Alvarado credit on anything in the GCBD this time. No, I based it on a thread in a Laurel and Hardy forum. A member named BeAStooge commented:

Laurel & Hardy comic books in the U.S....

- St. John Publishing published 3 issues in 1949. They were reprinted 1955 - 1956, and 2 issues had new covers. Artwork by Reuben Timmins.

- Western Publishing published 4 issues via Dell, 1962 - 1963. Art by Peter Alvarado.

- Western Publishing had another 2 issues with its in-house Gold Key imprint, 1967. Alvarado on artwork.- 2 L&H mini-comics 1967 - 1968, in the "March of Comics" series. "MOC" were giveaway promotions, focused at childrens' shoe stores, published by Western, and distributed by its KK Publications subsidiary. Again, Pete Alvarado was the artist.

- DC Comics put out 1 issue in 1972. A 2nd issue was planned, with a "Superman" crossover gag cover, but it was never published. A digest-sized issue was promoted in early 1972 issues; it also was never published. New DC artwork was by Bob Oskner and Henry Scarpelli; reprint material un-ID'ed.- 1987, Blackthorne Publishing released two issues of reprint material, in 3-D.

Obviously, I am not (yet) a person who can always identify artwork at a glance. On the other hand, other internet resources are proving to be untrustworthy as well. This leaves me in a quandary. I don't want to only post comics by artists I am sure about, but I don't want to risk the shame of misidentifying an artist either (or a writer, for that matter).

I think in the future, when confronted with an artist I can't personally identify, I am going to require two or three separate sources for credit verification. If I am the tiniest bit in doubt after that, I will post the credit and note that I am not 100% sure.

And since I started this post mentioning Mr. Evanier, he related a funny anecdote the other day that was somewhat related to my post of National Lampoon's Mad parody. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment